Login

Menu

A History of Troop 5, Churchville

Reprinted from 75th Anniversary Celebration in 1998, updated March 2007

In June of 1923, a charter was granted to the North & Southampton Reformed Church to form "Troop No. 1 Churchville." In 1927, the Bucks County Council was formed, and began the practice of issuing only one number for each of its Bucks County Boy Scout Troops. Because many other neighboring towns also had a Troop No. 1, the Churchville troop was re-chartered as "Troop 5 Churchville." Today, Troop 5 is the second oldest continuously chartered Boy Scout troop in Bucks County.

More than three-quarters of a century later, the Scouts are still meeting at the same location, the North and Southampton Reformed Church. The old barn in which they held their meetings has long since been torn down, but the boys gather every Monday night in an upstairs classroom. Here they plan hiking and camping trips, learn knot tying and tent assembly, and earn merit badges just as their brother Scouts have done for the last 85 years. The troop continues to have an active camping calendar including monthly camping trips, a week long summer camp, and a challenging high adventure trip for the older Scouts. The troop also runs a venture program, providing special trips geared towards the older Scouts.

The troop currently has over 30 registered Scouts supported by an active Scoutmaster Corps and troop committee. It boasts an impressive list of more than 135 Eagle Scouts. Typically a scout spends approximately 6 years working towards this goal. Though a total of 21 merit badges is still required, the prescribed merit badges have changed over the years to keep up with the changing times. For example, Family Life is now a required badge for Eagle Scout. However, exhibiting leadership and the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project still remain as the major steppingstone on the "Trail to Eagle."

The troop's Diamond Anniversary Celebration was held on October 24, 1998 at Camp Ockanickon as a tribute to the many summers Scouts have spent at this camp. Troop 5 has been spending summers at Camp Ockanickon since its establishment in the early 1940's. Troop 5 has been very active over the years supporting Camp Ockanickon, building and refurbishing the rifle range, working on the C.O.P.E. Course, the Nature Lodge, building the bridge out towards Lenape Campsite, and building the sand Volleyball Court as well as various landscaping needs and improvements.

We look forward to our next 85 years of scouting and serving the community.